FII Level 1 Freediving Course on Long Island
FII Level -1
June 26th, July 10th, July 15th
August 7th 14th and 19th
See sign up page (link below) for course itinerary and schedule.
Sign up HERE
Take your FII Freediving Certification Course on Long Island, New York! This is a great way for all water sport enthusiasts to take their skills to the next level. Wether you are a scuba diver, surfer, recreational snorkeler, spearfisherman, swimmer, or just someone looking for something fun and exciting to do in the water. You can increase your comfort and enjoyment in the water no mater what your sport of choice by learning the techniques used by freedivers. It’s no surprise Freediving (Apnea Diving) has become one of the fastest growing sports in the world! It allows divers to explore the beauty of the underwater world on one breath the way nature intended, with just a few pieces of equipment.
Freediving forces us to be present in the moment. When you slide underwater your “land life” is put on hold, and the instant calming effect of an empty mind becomes convincingly obvious. Not sure it’s for you? Almost anyone can learn to freedive! It’s no wonder this fun and exciting sport continues to gain popularity worldwide. What many don’t know is that freediving is a skill based sport. This class will teach you in a matter of days what could take years of extensive experience. The curriculum has proven results, whether interested in swimming on the reef, freediving with dolphins, mastering the art of spearfishing or maybe even interested in the competitive aspects; FII has a course that will have you freediving like a pro in no time!
• Classroom Session held at School of Fish in Rocky Point, NY
• Pool Sessions are held in a very comfortable 88F pool at School of Fish
• Open Water Session – To be held in the waters off the East End of Long Island on a boat charter out of Montauk
• $400 Tuition. Due when signing up (non-refundable)
• There will be an additional $100 boat charter fee for for the open water session, due two weeks prior to the open water session.
- Course duration:
Minimum 4 hours of academic work, 3 hours of confined water training, and 1.5 hours of open water depth training (varies per location and class). Included with our class is an additional 2-hour pool training session for students who want extra technique practice before the open water session.
- Minimum age requirement:
Participants must be 16 years or older!
- Course prerequisites:
You must have competent swimming skills and be comfortable in the open water. This is not a class that is designed to help you overcome a fear of the water. If you have any doubts about your ability please feel free to give us a call so we can discuss your options.
The Level 1 freediving course is an introduction to the FII education system. It covers everything from safety & problem management, breathing techniques, & equipment selection to correct freediving methods for gradual depth progression. This freediving course is ideal for anyone wishing to master the correct basic freediving techniques of our system enabling you to confidently freedive to depths up to 66 feet/20 meters. The freediving course will consist of 1 classroom session (3-4 hours), 1 pool session (3-4 hours), 1 pool practice session (2-hours) and 1 open water session (2-3 hours).
- Increased in-water comfort
- Improved spearfishing skills
- A great cross-training tool for surfers and watermen
- Amazing marine life encounters
- Better understanding of diving physiology
- Excellent fitness benefits
- A total mind/body balance experience
- Level 1 Safety & Problem Management for Freediving
- Level 1 Breath-Hold Technique Development
- Level 1 Confined Water Rescue and Buddy Supervision Techniques
- Introduction to Freediving Specific Equipment
- Basic Physics and Physiology for the Level 1 Freediver
- Freediving Technique Development
- Correct Breathing for Freediving
- Equalization Techniques for the Level 1 Freediver
- Open Water Rescue Skills, Buddy Supervision and Self Evaluation
Student Learning Materials:
- Level 1 Student Manual and Workbook,
- Level 1 Academic Review
As a F.I.I. Level 1 Freediver you will need the following equipment: (Freediving specific gear is highly recommended but not required). We do not rent this equipment.
- Long blade fins
- Low profile mask
- Rubber weight belt with appropriate weights
- Freediving computer (optional)
Level 1 Freediver students are not required to dive the maximum depth of the freediving course for certification. FII certification tests are based on the skills and knowledge you will master throughout your course.