FII Level 1 Freediving Course on Long Island and Pennsylvania
Level-1 courses this Summer (2021).
Each course consists of class, pool and open water training
• Class 3: classroom Sept. 1, pool Sept. 8, Open Water Sept. 11
Take your FII Freediving Certification Course on Long Island, New York! This is a great way for all water sport enthusiasts to take their skills to the next level. Wether you are a scuba diver, surfer, recreational snorkeler, spearfisherman, swimmer, or just someone looking for something fun and exciting to do in the water. You can increase your comfort and enjoyment in the water no mater what your sport of choice by learning the techniques used by freedivers. It’s no surprise Freediving (Apnea Diving) has become one of the fastest growing sports in the world! It allows divers to explore the beauty of the underwater world on one breath the way nature intended, with just a few pieces of equipment.
Freediving forces us to be present in the moment. When you slide underwater your “land life” is put on hold, and the instant calming effect of an empty mind becomes convincingly obvious. Not sure it’s for you? Almost anyone can learn to freedive! It’s no wonder this fun and exciting sport continues to gain popularity worldwide. What many don’t know is that freediving’s a skill based sport. This class will teach you in a matter of days what could take years of extensive experience. The curriculum has proven results, whether interested in swimming on the reef, freediving with dolphins, mastering the art of spearfishing or maybe even interested in the competitive aspects; FII has a course that will have you freediving like a pro in no time!
• Class and Pool Session held at School of Fish in Rocky Point, NY
• Open Water Session held at Dutch Springs Bethlehem PA
• $375 Tuition. Due when signing up (non-refundable)
• $54 Dutch Springs Admission
- Course duration:
Minimum 4 hours of academic work, 3 hours of confined water training, and 1.5 hours of open water depth training (varies per location and class).
Minimum age requirement:
Participants must be 16 years or older!
Competent swimming skills and comfortable in open water.
The Level 1 freediving course is an introduction to the FII education system. It covers everything from safety & problem management, breathing techniques, & equipment selection to correct freediving methods for gradual depth progression. This freediving course is ideal for anyone wishing to master the correct basic freediving techniques of our system enabling you to confidently freedive to depths up to 66 feet/20 meters. The freediving course will consist of 1 classroom session (3-4 hours), 1 pool session (3-4 hours), and 1 open water session (2-3 hours), then an academic review and course wrap-up.
- Increased in-water comfort
- Improved spearfishing skills
- A great cross-training tool for surfers and watermen
- Amazing marine life encounters
- Better understanding of diving physiology
- Excellent fitness benefits
- A total mind/body balance experience
- Level 1 Safety & Problem Management for Freediving
- Level 1 Breath-Hold Technique Development
- Level 1 Confined Water Rescue and Buddy Supervision Techniques
- Introduction to Freediving Specific Equipment
- Basic Physics and Physiology for the Level 1 Freediver
- Freediving Technique Development
- Correct Breathing for Freediving
- Equalization Techniques for the Level 1 Freediver
- Open Water Rescue Skills, Buddy Supervision and Self Evaluation
Student Learning Materials:
- Level 1 Student Manual and Workbook,
- Level 1 Academic Review
As a F.I.I. Level 1 Freediver you will need the following equipment: (Freediving specific gear is highly recommended but not required). We do not rent this equipment.
- Long blade fins
- Low profile mask
- Rubber weight belt with appropriate weights
- Freediving computer (optional)
Level 1 Freediver students are not required to dive the maximum depth of the freediving course for certification. FII certification tests are based on the skills and knowledge you will master throughout your course.